Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sexual Exploitation in Dallas

Lately, I've joined with a few ladies in ministering to sexually exploited women in Dallas. We visit local brothels, strip clubs and call sex ads to pray for the women and try to show them Christ's love. In many of the brothels, Asian immigrants sleep on mats- on the same floor where they sell their bodies during work hours. Because these women speak limited English, and have no transportation, they have been our biggest burden.


A few weeks ago we took some bread and sparkling grape juice, along with some Scripture verses (in English/Thai) to pass out to the women in the brothels. Several of the places have been shut down since we visited in August, but it's left the remaining brothels very busy. The parking lots were unusually full for a weekday afternoon.


Most of the Asian brothels have shrines set up outside where the women can daily bring food sacrifices or incense. It saddens me to think about the life these women are living. The cycle of degradation, lust, power and confused prayers offered to man-made gods with deaf ears.


We're currently in the process of trying to start a non-profit organization so that we can raise funds to continue ministering to these marginalized women. There is so much more on our hearts to do. And the need continues to grow, as our eyes are opened to sexual exploitation all around us.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Okay, I am commenting again. This time to tell you about New Friends New Life. It's a non-profit here locally that helps women leaving sexually oriented businesses. Now I have been to some of their meetings and see very few to no Asian women so I think you guys are so right to pursue this. I just wanted to tell you about this organization so you could see how they do things as you plan on launching your own non-profit.

I bet I have the top 2 wordiest comments ever on your blog. ha ha!

Sara Taylor

Ted Wallace said...

I'm really proud of you, Michelle. I know that we've talked about doing something for a long time, but I'm so happy that you are finally able to get involved in a hands-on way.

I love you so much. Thanks for helping those ladies and showing them love.

-ted

Stonefox said...

This totally breaks my heart, Michelle. Thank you for the work you are doing in reaching out to these women.

Amy and Family said...

Michelle,
I'm a first time commenter on your blog. I find your admittance of struggles with depression so helpful and enlightening, as I suffer from bipolar disorder. I also truly believe your work to end sexual exploitation so important. I work with children in the foster care system who've suffered sexual and physical abuse, and know the tragic situations they must endure. I did however, want to say that I disagree that these womens prayers to what you consider "man made" gods are falling on deaf ears. I have a deep and abiding belief in a God who hears all prayers in all forms. My God would not forsake a Buddhist, a Hindu, a Muslim. God speaks to us in all forms, in all religions, and that is the language of love. I know many who have lived a deeply faithful and meaningful life without Christ as their guide, but God in their life. Please keep sharing your message of love with these women, but do not demean that which may be important to them in their own personal search for love and meaning, and their journey out of a horrible situation. God Bless you in your path to help others, and your art is beautiful!

Healing Expressions said...

HI Michelle,
I am committing to praying for your heart's burden and that God will give you the steps, resources and direction for this desperately needed outreach Michelle. I had just put two videos on my website about sexual trafficking last week. It just breaks my heart. The need is so great! I have been following Shared Hope Internationals ministry and feel a passion growing for these girls and women too!
Take care!

My Journey to Hope said...

Amy & Family,
Thanks for your encouragement! I'm so thankful that God knows each of us individually and hears our prayers, even the unspoken ones. Every person's journey towards God and healing is different, and I certainly don't want to judge what that will look like. But I do believe that Jesus is the only way to salvation, and I hope that along the way these women will discover that truth as well. Thanks again for your comments!

-Michelle

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Your Comments Make My Day!